Saturday, July 3, 2010

Plant a seed...

So, yes I have been an absent blogger.  I am pretty sure I always will be.  If anyone out there reads this, sorry :)

I have decided to grow things.  Tomato plants to be exact.  From seed no less.  Why would you do that Heather?  I have no clue, other than I am tired of buying massive amounts of cherry tomatos at the store for my son who thinks they are red berries. 

Here is my progress thus far:

First I purchased a Cherry Tomato seed packet and a Jiffy-7 peat pellet window sill green house. (On sale at Home Depot, grand total for both items $4.65)  You add hot water to the tray and watch the pellets expand.  Once expanded you plant 3-4 seeds in each pellet.  Then cap with enclosed clear lid.
Finished product:

Next you wait :)  It really wasn't that bad, it took maybe 5-6 days to turn into this:


Now that it is at this stage, I was instructed to leave it open and DO NOT WATER for an additional 5-6 days.

Now we get to transplant day.  I went and purchased Organic potting soil and a planter (Grand total after coupons $6.75) and now the little pellets get planted in the planter.  Here it is as of today:


Oh, and here is the soil I purchased:



So now we wait some more!  Hopefully these guys will take off so I don't feel like I completely wasted my money.

No comments:

Post a Comment